If you want pizza snack or appetizer ideas, this pizza bombs recipe is the perfect snack. Pizza bombs are biscuits filled with cheese, sauce, and pepperoni and baked to a golden brown.
I made these with some leftover pizza dough; the results were fantastic.
If you do not have leftover dough, you can make these with Pillsbury biscuit dough or check out the Bobby Flay pizza dough recipe, a quick-rise pizza dough recipe.
This is an easy recipe, and it goes so well with the white pizza sauce as a dip. You can even serve it with marinara sauce; the choice is yours.
The crust on top is crispy and flaky, while it is nice and soft on the inside, making it one of the best appetizers.
You can make these in the oven or air fryer, and I would share the cooking times and temperatures for both.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Pizza Bombs
You can even use Pillsbury biscuits if you have them or want to make something quick and do not have much time.
I’ve experimented with chili garlic sauce, sweet chili sauce, and various other variants to add a twist to these pizza bombs, and it turns out well each time.
Make sure not to use a lot of sauce if it oozes out when you close the bomb; it can get difficult to seal it. If that occurs, simply remove the excess sauce with a spoon and use a bit of dry flour to reseal the dough.
3. Cheese- Now, many recipes use Mozzarella cheese, and I have used both Mozzarella cheese, cheese cubes, and many other variants, as long as you use cheese that is slightly dry and you use it in moderation so it doesn’t burst the bomb and ooze out, you are good.
A little cheese will ooze out, but that is okay; however, if all the cheese oozes out of the pizza bomb, there will be none inside the biscuit.
So, use cheese in moderation, depending on the size of the pizza bomb.
4. Pepperoni Slices- I didn’t use this since my pizza bomb is a vegetarian version, but you can use small pepperoni slices and place them in your pizza bomb.
If you want a vegan version, finely chop some veggies and place them inside your pizza bomb.
5. Garlic Butter- Now, after you are done cooking the pizza bombs, it is essential to brush them with some garlic butter.
If you do not have the time to make garlic butter, then using simple butter will do, but brushing it with garlic butter is crucial to get a nice texture of the crust outside.
Mixing 2 tbsp of salted butter with a bit of garlic powder or crushed garlic is easy.
Making the Pizza Bombs Recipe
Making pizza bombs is easy once you have a clear idea of all the ingredients that you should use while making these bombs.
1. First, take a small dough ball and use a rolling pin to stretch it out. Many people suggest stretching it out with your fingers or palm, but do it with a rolling pin to get an evenly stretched dough.
It is better to have an evenly stretched dough so that it doesn’t tear off from any part.
2. Now place a dollop of pizza sauce and, a small cheese cube and add any toppings(pepperoni) of your choice; do not overfill it since you have very little space.
3. Pick up the opposite sides of the dough and pinch them, then do the same with the other two sides that are open and form a ball.
4. Bake them in the oven or air fryer. Preheat your oven for 5 minutes at 395 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 15 minutes at the same temperature.
How to cook Pizza Bombs in the Air Fryer?
In the air fryer, cook these pizza bombs at 345 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes.
Keep an eye on them as cooking times may vary depending on your air fryer; they could be ready before the 15-minute mark.
Consider using parchment paper in the air fryer to minimize mess.
After 10 minutes, you might want to flip the pizza bombs and cook them for a few more minutes to achieve a nice, golden-brown bottom.
Cooking temperature and time for Pizza Bombs
|Appliance||Temperature||Preheat Time||Cook Time|
|Oven||395°F||5 min||15 min|
|Air Fryer||345°F||0 min||12 min|
How to freeze leftover Pizza Bombs?
If you’ve prepared pizza bombs and haven’t cooked them yet, start by freezing them separately on a tray with some space between each one. After they’re individually frozen, you can wrap them together in foil to prevent sticking.
Alternatively, you can wrap each pizza bomb individually with wax paper or aluminum foil and store them in a freezer bag for future use.
Another option is to freeze them in batches, whether it’s 6 at a time or your preferred portion size.
This way, you can take out and thaw the desired quantity in the refrigerator before cooking them in the air fryer or oven.
Pizza Bombs Recipe
- 200 grams Pizza dough
- 1 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1 Cup Pepperoni Slices
- Take a small pizza dough ball and roll it out flat with a rolling pin.
- Put a small dallop of pizza sauce, then add some cheese and pepperoni slices(optional, I have skipped it).
- Now pick up the opposite two corners of teh pizza dough ball and pinch it, next pick up the other two corners of the ball and pinch them together.
- Make more such pizza bombs. Preheat the oven at 395F for 5 minutes and continue to cook it for 15 minute at the same temperature.
- Once the pizza bombs are out, brush it with some garlic butter on top and serve.