New York-style pizza is probably one of the best things in New York. So, I had to make it, which meant making an authentic New York-style pizza sauce recipe.
This will be a no cook New york style pizza sauce recipe that is easy to make and store for the future as well.
This recipe is easy and quick and does not require a long list of random ingredients. Neither does this recipe demand constant stirring of the sauce in a pan.
Unlike so many pizza sauce recipes out there, the New York pizza sauce is actually a no-cook sauce.
I do not understand why some sauce recipes on the internet complicate things for no reason, but that is why you need this sauce recipe when you cook your next New York-style pizza!
Table of Contents
This sauce is made with simple ingredients-
1. Canned tomatoes- You can use any good quality canned tomatoes. However, I had the Mutti Pelati Canned tomatoes at home and used that for this recipe. This recipe is not strict like the Neapolitan pizza sauce recipe; hence, you can use any good quality tomatoes for this recipe.
2. Salt- This is a rather simple and self-explanatory ingredient.
3. Sugar- Now, I know there would be some people who would say sugar does not go in pizza sauce, BUT, if your tomatoes are not sweet enough on their own, it is a good idea to add some sugar.
4. Dried Oregano
5. Olive oil
6. Garlic clove
8. Onion Powder(optional)
Why make this New York Style Pizza Sauce Recipe?
This recipe is easy quick, and the best part, it has a few ingredients. You can easily find the ingredients in your kitchen and do not have to wait to check off a long ingredient list.
You do not need any random spices to make this sauce; it is straightforward, simple, and tastes very close to a NY style pizza sauce.
This pizza sauce recipe can be modified or altered according to your needs(although it may not be NY pizza sauce then).
Just try to keep the main ingredients intact to keep it as close as possible to an NY pizza sauce.
Do you cook New York Style Pizza sauce?
No. New York-style pizza is a no-cook pizza sauce. There are a few recipes where they cook the pizza sauce, but I do not think that is how pizzerias in New York do it.
Authentic Italian pizza sauce is generally a no-cook sauce, and the New York Style meets the same standards.
So, no-cook sauce is the way to go for an authentic New York-style pizza sauce.
What tomatoes should you use in this recipe?
You can use any good quality canned tomatoes for this recipe. I used the Mutti canned tomatoes that were rich, thick, and nice.
The texture of the pizza sauce is smooth because you are supposed to blend tomatoes and all the ingredients together.
If you like a sweet, salty sauce with an aromatic flavor profile of herbs, then this new York-style style pizza sauce is going to blow your mind.
I personally love this pizza sauce; it is simple, easy, and not overly complicated.
How long does this homemade pizza sauce last in the fridge?
This pizza sauce is best for storing and canning. You can easily store this pizza sauce, which would last about a week in the refrigerator.
If you wish to store it for longer, you can pour this pizza sauce into a zip-lock bag and freeze it for the future.
You just need to thaw the pizza sauce and reuse it again. If you are freezing the pizza sauce, you will see there is no difference in the taste. However, the consistency might change slightly depending on how long you freeze the pizza sauce.
You can even can the pizza sauce and freeze it. Later, when you are done with your current batch of pizza sauce, you can take out the frozen can and start using it again.
Defrost tip- A good defrosting tip is to keep the frozen item in the refrigerator to defrost it slowly.
How long does this pizza sauce last in the freezer?
This pizza sauce can last up to 6 months in the freezer. Just ensure there is no power shortage while you have this in the freezer.
Also, keep an eye out for freezer burns, as that can have an impact on the flavor of the pizza sauce.
If you freeze the sauce carefully, it will stay good for six months.
New York Style Pizza Sauce
- 1 Blender
- 400 grams Canned Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 5 leaves Fresh Basil(you can use dry basil if you do not have the fresh one)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Take out the canned tomatoes in a bowl(you can directly put it in the jar as well for convinence).
- Add the oregano, salt, garlic(you can grate it for easier blending), basil and olive oil in the bowl.
- Now put the entire mixture in a blendder and blend everything till it forms a smooth paste.
- Your NY Style pizza sauce is now ready.