If you love pizzas, you know how important it is to use the right cheese.
In this post, we will list out the Best Mozzarella Cheese for Pizzas that can bring a drastic change in the taste of your homemade pizzas.
There are way too many options out there, but what I love the most is the Whole milk Mozzarella.
It is really hard to look for a good pizza cheese brand because all of these cheese brands look so promising and claim that they have the perfect cheese for pizza.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through a link. Please see my full disclosure for further information.
Yes, you might think that the whole Milk mozzarella can make you fat but here is the trick.
The whole milk mozzarella that you get in a cheesemaker’s shop has a lot more taste than the Mozzarella cheeses that you usually find in the supermarket.
This cheese has a lot of flavors and all you need to do is place a few chunks of it on your pizza so that when you take a bite on your pizza, you get a flavourful taste.
What Is Mozzarella?
Mozzarella is a fresh semi-soft Italian cheese that is made from the milk of water buffalo. It is a type of ‘pasta fi lata’ which means spun paste.
The pasta fi lata refers to the process wherein the cheese curds from the water buffalo are kneaded, heated, and stretched to create the off-white ball of cheese we know.
If you have mozzarella cheese that is sprinkled over your food, it is most likely that it is not the authentic type of mozzarella cheese.
The authentic ones, which have a Protected Designation of Origin from the European Union come from just south of Naples and are exported to the U.S. and other countries.
There should be a DOC (Controlled Designation of Origin) stamp to make sure that your mozzarella cheese is the real deal.
Mozzarella cheese is hardly aged if at all which accounts for its not-so-strong taste. It s perfect for pasta recipes and of course, pizzas.
There are different types of mozzarella cheese that you can use for different recipes. I recommend asking for suggestions from cheesemongers for the right cheese for your recipe.
If you want to grate your mozzarella cheese, make sure you do it just before cooking a pizza.
This way you do not remove the moisture from the cheese keeping its taste intact.
Different Types Of Mozzarella
1. Fior di Latte
Fior di Latte means “flower of milk” which simply means that it uses the highest quality of milk. Instead of water buffalo milk, Fior di Latte uses cow’s milk to make the cheese.
You have most likely encountered this type of mozzarella cheese as it is considered the all-purpose mozzarella cheese.
Fior di Latte is made fresh and has a sweet and light flavor. It has an elastic texture that indicates its freshness.
It is the perfect garnish for pasta recipes and can be used with pizzas that have relatively strong flavors on the toppings. Be careful when using Fior di Latte on pizzas as it can be watery.
Sometimes Fior di Latte is sold in packages where the cheese is submerged in brines. The brines can sometimes contain olive oil as well as herbs and spices.
Essentially, all fresh mozzarella made from cow’s milk is considered Fior di Latte unless otherwise marked with different labels.
2. Mozzarella Di Bufala
Mozzarella Di Bufala is a type of mozzarella cheese that is made from buffalo milk that is raised in the Campania region of Italy.
It has a DOP marking which means that Mozzarella di Bufala can only come from the region where the buffalos are raised.
The flavor of this cheese is tangier and sweeter than the Fior di Latte which we are used to. It has a creamy and smooth texture which makes it a great (but expensive) pizza topping.
Since it has a DOP, mozzarella di Bufala can be really hard to come by but I suggest buying one if you find it while you are shopping and enjoying the rich flavors from the cheese.
3. Low-Moisture Mozzarella
Low-moisture fresh mozzarella has a denser and drier texture than regular or fresh mozzarella. The reason behind this is that low-moisture mozzarella is aged a little longer than fresh mozzarella.
It is an American invention that also includes treating the skimmed cow’s milk with chemicals in order to lessen the moisture content.
The longer aging period also allows the low-moisture mozzarella to develop a saltier flavor and is common for American pizzas.
If you have seen those ads for pizzas that have a really stretchy cheese holding onto the slice of pizza, it is most likely that they are using low-moisture mozzarella.
I love using low-moisture mozzarella for snacks such as cheese sticks because of its stronger flavor.
Low-moisture mozzarella has a water content of 45% to 52% which makes it great for pizzas as it does not make the crust soggy with too much moisture.
4. Pre-shredded Mozzarella
Pre-shredded mozzarella is perhaps the type of mozzarella cheese that we encounter most of the time. It is a very versatile type of mozzarella because of its easy-melt characteristics.
This type of mozzarella usually comes in bags and can be found in most grocery stores. It has a mild flavor so it can easily adapt to the recipes that you want to include it.
Pre-shredded mozzarella is also widely used in American pizzas such as New York-style pizza because it melts quickly and blends well with the other ingredients of the pizza.
Most pre-shredded mozzarella is coated in cellulose so the strings will not stick to each other.
How To Use Fresh Mozzarella
Fresh mozzarella should be dried a bit before using it in your recipes, especially pizzas. Fresh mozzarella has a lot of water so drying it first will save you from soggy pizza crusts.
Simply, cut the fresh mozzarella into small pieces and then place them on a plate that is lined with paper towels or tea towels. Leave the slices there for at least 15 minutes.
Fresh mozzarella does not have a strong taste and is more on the mild side so it is the perfect pair for strong toppings such as pepperoni and onions.
Note that fresh mozzarella will not give you the classic cheese pull if that is what you love and want in your pizza. But in my opinion, the flavour of fresh mozzarella is way better than dry mozzarella.
Fresh mozzarella can also be eaten directly. Hand any Italian a fresh ball of mozzarella and they will not hesitate to eat it right then and there.
The traditional way of eating fresh mozzarella is to shove the small ball into your mouth with your bare hands. So if you come across a fresh ball of mozzarella, I suggest you try this fun method.
How To Use Dry Mozzarella
Dry mozzarella is a type of mozzarella that you can put directly on your pizza because of its low moisture content.
The typical low-moisture mozzarella melts faster than fresh mozzarella but if you want it to melt even quicker, you can also allow the dry mozzarella to dry further with paper towels.
Usually, dry mozzarella is shredded and topped on recipes like pizzas and pasta. However, you can also slice them into smaller pieces and place them evenly on top of your pizzas.
Dry mozzarella lasts longer than fresh mozzarella since it has less water in it. So you can store it in the fridge and use it later for other recipes.
Tips to use Dry Mozzarella
- Make sure you buy them in blocks and shred them at home. The shredded mozzarella isn’t that great and has an artificial taste which most of us would agree.
- Use larger shreds of Mozzarella, as the high temperatures and you do not want the cheese to burn or release a lot of oil if you use finer shreds of cheese.
- Avoid cutting slices of dry mozzarella and placing it on your pizza. This might not work and depending on the oven you use, the cheese will not melt. Always shred your dry mozzarella.
Best Mozzarella Cheese For Neapolitan Pizza
The best Neapolitan mozzarella cheese is fresh Mozzarella di Bufala since you do not need the cheese to melt drastically. It blends well with the basil and tomato sauce with its light flavor.
Mozzarella di Bufala is also watery which is perfect for the extremely hot cooking environment when making authentic Neapolitan pizzas.
Always use fresh mozzarella for Neapolitan pizzas to get that authentic taste and texture. You can either use cow or buffalo fresh mozzarella for Neapolitan pizza.
Another option would be Fior di latte is the most common type of mozzarella used in Neapolitan pizzas and in my opinion it is the perfect Mozzarella cheese for pizza Napoletana or Neapolitan pizza.
This mozzarella has a hint of sweetness and the usual salty and creamy texture of the cheese.
Best Mozzarella Cheese For New York-Style Pizza
Like most American pizzas, New York-style pizza is best made with low-moisture mozzarella. The most common one is half part-skimmed mozzarella and half whole-milk mozzarella.
If you use fresh Italian mozzarella on your New York pizza, make sure to follow how to use fresh mozzarella which is to dry it on paper towels first before adding them to the pizza.
Best Mozzarella Cheese For Deep-Dish Pizza
The best mozzarella cheese for Chicago Deep-dish pizza is also low-moisture mozzarella. There is already a lot of sauce on the pizza so you do not any excess water from the cheese.
Since the cheese is placed at the bottom of the pizza, the moisture is also trapped so you need the mozzarella cheese to have an as low moisture content as possible.
Using shredded mozzarella cheese is also great with deep-dish pizza as well as it melts evenly on the pizza.
Best Mozzarella Cheese For Pan Pizza
You can use fresh low-moisture mozzarella for pan pizza so it can cover the toppings with its easy-melt texture.
Pan pizza also has a lot of sauce so you do not need too much moisture from the cheese. Using low-moisture mozzarella will give your pan pizza a distinct flavor and smooth texture.
Best Mozzarella Cheese For Thick Crust Pizza
Just like the pan pizza, thick crust pizza is best made with fresh low-moisture mozzarella. The main reason behind this is that it takes longer to cook thick-crust pizza.
Thick crust pizza is cooked at a lower temperature for a longer period of time so it will not be able to remove the moisture from fresh Italian mozzarella.
Note: Do not use shredded mozzarella with thick-crust pizza as the long cooking time will only burn the high starch content of shredded mozzarella cheese.
What is Burrata?
Burrata is a fresh Italian cheese that is made from cow’s milk. It also uses the ‘pasta fi lata’ method that we mentioned where the cheese curd is stretched and kneaded.
It is similar to mozzarella cheese as it is processed with almost the same method but Burrata has a stronger flavor and a softer texture.
Imagine a ball of cheese that has a soft mozzarella casing. Break into it and you will find a softer interior with cheese curds.
The inside of Burrata is made with a mixture of cheese curds and cream. Burrata is commonly used in kinds of pasta and Caprese salad.
Since the name Burrata comes from ‘burro’ which means butter in Italian, you can have an idea of how smooth and creamy this cheese is.
There is, however, a con to this cheese. Since Burrata uses cream, it has a high-calorie content so be mindful of using too much Burrata cheese in your recipes if you are trying to watch your calorie intake.
Best Mozzarella Cheese On The Market
1. Happy Belly Shredded Low-Moisture Mozzarella Cheese for Pizza
- Sold with a great package that you do not need to repackage it for storing.
- It stretches real well so you can put it on thin-crust pizzas.
- The mild flavor makes it perfect for toppings such as vegetables.
- It has a mediocre taste, and you will need a stronger cheese for meat toppings.
This amazing and affordable mozzarella cheese is prepared for you so you can use it right away on your pizza.
It is packed in a resealable bag, so you do not have to worry about where to store it.
It is shredded, which means that you just need to put it on your pizza.
There are no other processes needed to use this pizza and the low-moisture content brings a lot of texture.
It is stretchy, and I love using this best mozzarella cheese for pizza on other recipes such as salads and other baked goods.
It does well with pizza, especially if you want just the mild saltiness from the cheese.
2. 365 By WFM, Mozzarella Cheese for Pizza
- It can be used right away on pizzas with its form and can even give you that vegan cheese taste.
- Made with pasteurized milk along with salt and other enzymes.
- It is slightly higher in moisture content than the first one on the list.
- It does not have too much information, so you have to experiment with how you use it.
This best mozzarella cheese for pizza is perfect for making the best vegan pizza quickly.
This is one of the best pizza cheese brands as you can get a good quantity of low moisture mozzarella cheese for a good price.
Also, the cheese melting too quickly can be a problem, but my observation was that it did not change in color even at higher temperatures.
It is a low moisture mozzarella cheese making it the best stretchy cheese for a pizza. You can make it a vegan shredded cheese for your garnish as vegan shredded cheese goes great with vegetable toppings.
Direct heat is what made it cook with the color that I want, so you do need to experiment with it.
The fun thing is that this cheese was full of flavor despite not stretching or melting too quickly.
The enzymes in the cheese mix are added with powdered cellulose to prevent caking.
I usually use this mozzarella cheese for pizza in one go once I open it as it does not have a long shelf life.
3. RIO BRIATI Fresh Mozzarella Ball Sustainably Sourced
- Made with cows milk raised in rural areas in Wisconsin, fed with natural forages.
- A smooth and mild flavor like Ricotta that you can eat it just as it is.
- Pairs well with beer, wine, and other beverages so you are not limited to pizza only.
- It tends to become pasty when you leave it unused for a long time.
This mozzarella cheese is perfect for your afternoon snacks. It is vegetarian so you cannot use it for pure recipes if you want to get that vegan cheese taste.
Whether you put it as a topping for your pizza or just eat it as it is with your favorite beverages and other side dishes.
It has a mild flavor that has just enough saltiness to it to blend meat toppings making it the best mozzarella cheese for pizza.
The cows used to produce this cheese are fed with beans and corn to get them sweeter milk.
This results in a savory cheese that goes well with pizza toppings such as sausages, ham, pepperoni, and more. Just make sure to store it in a cool, dry place to prevent it from sticking.
4. BelGioioso, Fresh Mozzarella Cheese for Pizza
- Has a milky and fresh taste like Ricotta blended with its soft and delicate texture.
- Made with pasteurized cow’s milk that gives it its slightly sweet flavor.
- It is gluten-free and is also a great type of cheese for a vegetarian diet.
- It does not add too much color to the pizza, which can be unappealing to some.
Aside from the porcelain-white color of this mozzarella cheese, it is also made with cow’s milk that gives it a uniquely sweet and salty flavor. It is perfect with white pizza toppings such as cured meats.
This is a fresh mozzarella cheese and one of the best pizza cheese brands considering that it gives delicious fresh mozzarella cheese that you can put on your Neapolitan pizza.
The slightly salty taste of cured meat makes it a unique mozzarella cheese with its perfect flavor to blend with and gives you a savory finish on the pizza.
The cheese also has a soft texture that becomes stretchy when cooked. It is only vegetarian so you cannot use it to get that vegan cheese taste on your vegan pizza.
This gluten-free cheese is perfect for your next pizza or just a plain cheese snack in your backyard.
It does not change color when cooked, so you might want to brown it with a torch.
5. BelGioioso, Fresh Ciliegine Mozzarella Cheese for Pizza
- It is rBST-free and gluten-free, so it does not affect your health that much.
- Packed with water inside so that the cheese stays soft when delivered.
- It is also slightly sweet like Ricotta, which makes it perfect for cheese boards and snacks.
- It does not have a long shelf life, so make sure to consume it before expiration.
If you want mozzarella cheese that gives your pizza a slightly sweet flavor, then this is for you.
It has a great flavor that other users even dub as the closest to homemade mozzarella cheeses.
It does soften when cooked and gives you a rubbery texture that stretches when pulled.
You get to highlight the cheese when you bite into it and blend it with the other toppings as you chew them.
The slightly sweet flavor gives your pizza a unique flavor that keeps you wanting more slices.
The sweetness also makes it perfect for snacks with crackers, bread, and beverages you like.
6. Crave Brothers, Fresh Mozzarella Cheese for Pizza
- No added MSG and hydrogenated fats, so it is as natural as you get.
- Made from pasteurized milk to give it its slightly sweet and salty flavor.
- Made with small cherry-sized cheese balls so you can use them with any recipe you want.
- The flavor quickly changes over time, so I recommend using it immediately once opened.
If you love having cheese on your meals, then this mozzarella cheese is perfect for you. Take note that it is not dairy-free.
It gives off a mild sweetness to the flavor while it stays savory despite the lack of MSG in the ingredients used.
It is perfect for pizzas, but you need to reshape or press them to make them flat.
This cheese is a good snack, and crackers and bread to give more flavors to your afternoon snacks.
This cheese does not melt that much when it comes to pizza, but it does stay stretchy.
The mild flavor also goes well with vegetable toppings, especially bell peppers, black olives, and mushrooms.
7. Whole Foods Market, Fresh Mozzarella Medallions
- Made with old-world procedures to make sure that it has the most authentic flavor and texture.
- Packed in water to maintain the softness and texture of the cheese.
- It has less sodium compared to other mozzarella cheeses sold by other companies.
- The low sodium content might be a big deal for some as it can be bland.
This cheese is great for pizzas with its stretchy and smooth texture. It is not dairy-free so look out it you are lactose-intolerant.
You can make thin-crust pizzas with this cheese as the cheese becomes soft when it is cooked.
The smooth texture of this cheese will give your pizza the perfect blending flavor.
It has a low sodium content, so the sweetness is slightly more highlighted to get the perfect savory flavor.
It is certified vegetarian for those who have specific diets to follow.
8. MOZZARITA Hand Wrapped Mozzarella Cheese for Pizza
- Another cheese from Whole Foods Market that is made with natural ingredients only.
- No MSG, hydrogenated fats or high-fructose corn syrup added.
- It does get bad fast, so using it right away is the best way to prevent it from going bad.
Pizzas with mild flavors are great as you do not get tired of the taste. Another one of the cheese brands that you can put on your pizza and makes them taste amazing.
This cheese brings to your pizzas with the natural flavors that it contains without artificial ingredients.
The cheese tastes great, but you need to be careful with the amount you put on your pizzas.
It is quite salty, so distributing it evenly throughout the pizza is a must.
You can adjust the cuts you make since the cheese is sold in whole packages.
9. Amazon Brand – Happy Belly Shredded Mozzarella Cheese for Pizza
- Made with pasteurized part-skim milk giving the cheese a slightly sweet and tangy flavor like Ricotta.
- Sold with an 8-ounce resealable bag for proper sealed storage.
- Shredded for convenience and ease of use.
- It is made with anti-caking agents that can add to the carbohydrate content of the cheese.
If you love cheese and are looking for something that will give you a milder flavor than most cheese, this mozzarella cheese from Amazon is a great choice with its slightly tangy flavor.
It does not have that salty flavor, although you can taste it as it adds a familiar texture to your tongue with its tangy flavor.
You get to taste the other ingredients with a blend of saltiness. It is one of the best cheese for pizza as it lasts long in the refrigerator and you get the desired cheese pull when you pick up a slice.
The mozzarella cheese is also not that dry as it is packed with a resealable bag.
The moist and smooth texture of the cheese is maintained as long as you store it properly.
10. RIO BRIATI Fresh Mozzarella Log Sustainably Sourced
- Has a delicate flavor that gives your pizza just enough saltiness and sweetness as well.
- Made with a porcelain white finish so it is perfect for cheese boards and snacks.
- Made with pasteurized cow milk and is perfect for other recipes as well.
- Once exposed to air, it can become chewy and tough, so be careful with storing it.
If you love cheese and you just want to eat some along with your favorite crackers or snacks, then you should get this mozzarella cheese from Rio Briati to get that perfect cheese on your board.
Not only does it look good with its porcelain white color, but it also tastes great so it makes perfect sense with white pizzas.
It does not overpower any of the ingredients, so it is perfect for pizzas, salads, and lasagna.
The milky flavor blends well with meat, which means that it adds a little bit of saltiness and sweetness to the meat toppings that you want to put on your pizza.
11. Mozzarella Cheese Whole Milk Low-Moisture 3-pound Loaf
- It has a slightly tough texture so it can be used as grated cheese.
- The texture is also soft enough for the cheese to melt or smoothen easily.
- Sold in large quantities so you get to use it for many different recipes you want.
- It can be too dense for thin-crust pizzas and bland for vegetable toppings.
If you plan to use this cheese on your pizza, make sure to adjust the thickness of the slices you make according to the thickness of the crust.
Since it is low in moisture , this makes it one of the best stretchy cheese for a pizza so if you are looking for cheese that gives you the best cheese pull then this is it.
If you are looking for a low moisture cheese then this is the best cheese for pizza.
You will need to make the cheese slices a bit thinner so it does not weigh down on the crust.
It has a mild flavor, so you might want to add more when cooking it with vegetables.
It goes well with processed meat that is already seasoned, but it does tend to get bland with vegetable toppings.
The mild flavor, however, is perfect for making the cheese as a snack.
12. BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella Snacking Cheese
- As the name suggests, this mozzarella cheese is perfect for your snacks and cheese boards like Gouda.
- Made fresh from milk that is collected right after the animal has been milked.
- Has a milky flavor like Ricotta that blends well with both cooked and raw ingredients.
- It is on the higher-end of the products so it can be expensive for some.
This cheese truly goes well with anything, whether you cook it along with the pizza toppings, or use it as a garnish on your salads, lasagna, spaghetti, and other recipes that you want to cook.
The milky flavor gives this creamy texture that you feel when you bite into the cheese mix, and it also makes the other flavors more savory. It adds that melting flavor and texture to the food.
13. 365 By WFM, Mozzarella Cheese for Pizza
- Made from organic pasteurized milk and is part-skimmed for the unique texture.
- It has a mild flavor like Gouda cheese that gives it a bit of tanginess and saltiness, perfect for Margherita pizzas.
- Low-moisture content for thin-crust pizzas as well as salads and other recipes.
- It has added powdered cellulose to prevent caking.
This cheese is perfect for your amazing pizzas as it gives it a mild cheesy flavor.
It has added salt to the ingredients, making the pizza a bit saltier, making it perfect with vegetable toppings and it is not a high-moisture so vegetables will not become soggy.
Another low moisture mozzarella cheese that gives you the desired cheese pull when you pick up a pizza slice making it one of the best stretchy cheese for a pizza.
The added cellulose powder is an agent that prevents the cheese from caking.
That means that it has low moisture content and will not add or make the crust soggy when cooked.
This makes it one of hte best cheese for pizza and if you put this on your homemade pizza, you are guaranteed to get that cheese pull.
Since it is made with pasteurized milk, the flavor of the cheese is slightly sweeter.
This gives it a unique flavor that almost combines the flavors of the toppings on your pizzas.
14. BUR CREAME Mozzarella Ovoline
- Made with pasteurized buffalo milk along with enhanced salty flavors unlike Gouda, making it perfect for Margherita pizzas.
- Only uses natural preservatives to make sure that it has a long shelf life.
- It has a mild flavor that other ingredients can easily overpower.
This cheese is perfect for your next pizza with vegetable toppings.
It has salt added to it, but the flavor of the cheese is not that strong, so you do not need to make the pizza extra bland.
The buffalo milk used for this cheese is unique, especially with cheaper products and other high-moisture cheeses.
The authentic taste of this high-moisture cheese is perfect for your next homemade Neapolitan pizza.
with this cheese is that it can sometimes be bland.
There is not enough salt in it, and I only use it with vegetable toppings to not get overpowered the cheesy flavor.
15. Kraft Finely Shredded Natural Mozzarella Cheese
- Low-moisture and is made with pasteurized part-skim milk for the best flavor for your Margherita pizzas.
- Uses modified cornstarch instead of other artificial agents for anti-caking properties.
- It can cook quickly, so using it in hot and quick-cooking processes is the best way for cooking it instead of the slow cooks.
This cheese is a great substitute for high-end and expensive cheese like Galbani mozzarella.
It is affordable, and it has almost the same taste and texture as the more expensive choices.
The low-moisture content of this cheese gives it versatility and ease of use.
You can use it on your pizza while it also goes well with other baked goods such as lasagna, cakes, and muffins.
The modified cornstarch added to the cheese mix is perfect for preventing the cheese from caking.
That means that you can easily distribute it on your pizza by sprinkling it evenly throughout.
If you like the post then do not forget to share it on social media!