Making a pizza at home does require a good oven but apart from the oven, you really need to have the best homemade pizza dough recipe that would help you make an excellent pizza base once cooked.
The base has to rise perfectly(not as much as bread) after being cooked and the bottom has to be crisp with the gooey cheese on the top along with the perfectly cooked toppings.
It did take me some time to master the perfect dough recipe and initially when I started making the dough at home, I must say the pizzas did not turn out that great.
The dough was very soggy in the centres although and it was cooked perfectly at the corners, not just that they were not cooked that well throughout and the base was flat and did not rise at all.
So, if you are looking to make a nice pizza base then you should check out this recipe which I have been using for quite sometime and getting the perfect pizza base.
It is really easy and I have tried it myself and have been loving the way the pizza base gets cooked. I use the Uuni 3 Pizza oven with this base to get the perfect wood-fired pizza oven flavor. If I want to get some cooking done indoors then I use my Black and Decker Oven to get the pizza cooked to perfection.
However, if you are looking for some affordable pizza ovens then do read our post on affordable pizza ovens for home.
Moving on to the recipe, it is really easy to make so let’s get started with the ingredients-
1. Yeast- 1/4 tbsp
2. Sugar- 1 tbsp
3. Oil- tbsp
4. Refined Flour- 200 grams
5. Salt to taste
6. Garlic powder (Optional)
1. Take 50 ml of warm water in a cup. Make sure that the water is just warm and not hot as really hot water will not support the fermentation of yeast.
Now add the yeast and sugar in the cup and mix them with a spoon, cover the cup and let the mixture rest for sometime.
2. In another bowl, you can take the refined flour and add salt, Galic powder and mix it thoroughly.
3. Now after 15-30 minutes, you need to check the yeast mixture and you would find froth on top, this means that the yeast in undergoing fermentation. Now add this to the bowl with refined flour and add the oil and water and knead the dough.
4. Once you are done, you need to cover the dough and leave it overnight or around 24 hours.
5. Your pizza dough would double or triple in volume the next day. Now your dough is ready, get ready with your sauce, favourite toppings, and some cheese to make the perfect tasting pizza.
This process literally takes me less than 5 minutes, just that you need to wait for the yeast to begin fermentation, but you can easily do some other work at the time and come back and add all the ingredients and knead the dough.
So making the pizza dough can be as simple as that. We should touch up on a few mistakes that are common and a few of them that I made while cooking the base.
1. Did not wait for the yeast to undergo fermentation- It is really important that you wait for the yeast to undergo fermentation. You have to make sure that you see some froth on top else you would not get your perfectly cooked pizza base.
2. Cook the pizza at the right temperature- Yes, this was another common mistake that I did, I cooked the pizza at a lower temperature and that made my base not so good. You need to cook the pizza at least 375-degree Fahrenheit or more to get the perfectly cooked base.
3. Cook for the right time- Yes, you need to cook the pizza for the right amount of time else, it would not be cooked in the center.
Cook the pizza according to the oven temperature and if you are using a wood-fired pizza oven then it would cook in 60 seconds but if it is an electric oven it can take upto 20 minutes to cook.
4. Do not add salt in the yeast and sugar solution before fermentation. You might want to add salt after the fermentation is done and you have added the solution to the refined flour bowl as the salt inhibits the fermentation process.
Hope you make the perfect pizza dough and if you found this post helpful then do share it on social media!
If you have anything to add then let us know in the comments below!
Do share with us your unique pizza base recipe as well!