Pizza stones are great not only for cooking pizzas but also with other recipes.
So if you do not have one, you should get one of these top 10 pizza stone alternatives as substitutes.
These alternatives can perform just like a pizza stone, and some of them are easier to find.
You can make pizzas at home and make sure that every pie will have that amazing crispy crust.
Pizza stones gather the heat and distribute it in the oven or the cooking appliance to make the heat even.
That is what cooks your pizza quickly without burning it and leaving others raw.
Personally, there is nothing like a pizza stone, and you should get one for your pizzas.
However, there are some alternatives that you can use if you have no pizza stones.
Pizza stones recreate that surface and temperature that they had a long time ago.
So while it is essential to get a pizza stone, you can still note its purpose and find alternatives.
How Does A Pizza Stone Work?
To know which alternative works best, you need to understand exactly what makes a pizza stone perfect for pizzas and how it works so you can choose from many options.
A pizza stone works as a hot surface that almost instantly evaporates the moisture from the dough.
This means that it is really hot and it produces radiant heat like a powerful stove.
The difference is that a pizza stone does not produce heat by itself.
It needs to have a heat source underneath or beside it to make it hot and produce that radiant heat.
This heat helps make the crust crispy and makes sure that the toppings cook evenly.
Since it produces radiant heat, the pizza stone evens out the heat in the oven.
While the heat source is hot enough in the oven, it does not distribute the heat evenly.
That is why the pizza stone absorbs the heat and distributes it in the cooking chamber.
Since pizza dough cooks very quickly, you need something that will help the toppings cook quickly.
You can achieve this by using the heat distribution of the pizza stone.
So as that is the main function of a pizza stone, you need to find an alternative that will help you distribute the heat evenly while also absorbing a lot of heat to cook the pizza quickly.
Top 10 Pizza Stone Alternative
1. Baking Steel
One if not the best alternative for a pizza stone is baking steel or pizza steel.
- It is more durable than pizza stones because of the steel components.
- It does not break even when exposed to sudden temperature changes.
- Most pizza steels have a non-stick surface which is great for slightly wetter doughs.
- It does not distribute heat as efficiently as a pizza stone, so it heats up too much sometimes.
Pizza steel can help you get that crispy finish on your pizza as it does exactly what a pizza stone does.
It absorbs heat and distributes it in the cooking chamber to cook the pizza evenly.
Pizza steels are not usually as porous as pizza stones, so the dough does not stick to them.
However, this means that there are not many outlets for the heat.
2. Cast-iron Pizza Pan
The Lodge Pro-logic cast-iron pizza pan is one of the best alternatives for your pizza stone.
It is effective and heats up quickly, which means that it cooks the pizza almost like a pizza stone.
- You can use it on a grill or a stove as it can resist direct heat.
- This specific model has handles on the side for easier management.
- It cleans pretty quickly and easily.
- It can be too heavy for some, so you need to be careful when handling it.
Cast-iron is a material known for durability and maximum heat retention.
These are also porous, distributing the heat evenly after absorbing some from the heat source.
Made from cast-iron materials, they also do not break easily.
You can use them in a high-heat oven or directly over a grill and they will not crack, let alone break.
3. Pizza Pan
A pizza pan is also similar to a pizza stone because it can cook pizzas quickly.
For this, we have referred to the American Metalcraft TP12 pizza pan to give you a closer look.
- It has many sizes available to choose from so you can cook small and large pizzas.
- Pizza pans usually have raised edges so you can shape the pizza easily.
- You can make the best pizzas quickly in this pizza stone alternative.
- It can sometimes be too small for a large group of people.
Pizza pans are easy to handle as they are just like baking trays.
You just put your food on them as they cook and the bottom part will have the best-finished result once done cooking.
Pizza pans are light and manageable, which means that their downside is that they do not absorb as much heat as the other alternatives listed above.
4. Cast-iron Skillet
Not only are there cast-iron pizza pans, but there are also cast-iron skillets that you can use to cook amazing pizzas. They can cook on any appliance in any way that you want.
- They are durable and can handle direct heat when cooking.
- Most of them are pre-seasoned, which means that they have a non-stick surface.
- You can use it on any recipe that you want because of their versatility.
- The interior of cast-iron skillets can be rough, which is a little harder to manage.
Cast-iron skillets are great for cooking meat and stews.
However, you can also use them for your pizza as, like pizza stones, they can also absorb heat and cook the bottom of the pizza.
You can also play with liquid ingredients when using cast-iron skillets as they do not break in sudden temperature changes. So you can put oil on it before putting the pizza on it.
5. Dutch Oven
Dutch ovens might not be the most common alternative when cooking pizzas.
However, they conduct heat pretty well, and so essentially, they can cook pizzas perfectly with some practice.
- Dutch ovens retain heat well which ensures even finishes every time.
- You can find models made with glass which is a really good material for cooking pizzas.
- You can also use these on any recipe that you want at high temperatures.
- It can be hard to maintain, and you need to make sure that you properly handle it.
The benefit of getting a dutch oven like the Lodge 6-quart Enameled Cast-iron dutch oven with a glass surface is that the glass makes sure that it does not add any unnecessary flavors.
What I mean by that is that the dutch oven will cook the pizza as it is.
There are no secret pores on the glass that collect residues from previous recipes that might get into the pizza.
The most reliable and probably accessible alternative for a pizza stone is your grill.
You can cook pizzas in it and ensure that you will have a perfect finish on your pizza with a few tweaks.
- Incredibly versatile so you can cook other recipes while you finish your pizza.
- Makes sure that your pizza is crispy with some char from the direct heat.
- It can be hard to control and can easily burn your pizza if you are not careful.
Grills are versatile, so you can certainly cook your pizzas on them.
A grill can produce enough heat to cook pizzas within minutes while also adding that nice char on the food.
If you choose to go with grills, I recommend using a wire mesh or net so that the pizza does not slip through the grill grates.
Make sure to also control the temperature to the right heat needed.
7. Fire Bricks
Fire bricks are the true OG’s for cooking pizza and using them as alternatives is almost ironic.
These are the materials used in old ovens used to cook authentic pizzas.
- They absorb and retain heat well to create an oven spring in the cooking chamber.
- They are thick so they do not break over direct heat.
- Traditional and authentic, fire bricks will give you the perfect Neapolitan pizzas.
- They can be too hot, so make sure to keep an eye on them.
Fire bricks are the perfect alternative to pizza stones if you want that authentic Neapolitan pizza.
They can withstand the heat of up to 2500 degrees Fahrenheit when cooking in a wood-fired oven.
They are also porous, which means that they distribute the heat evenly.
You can use it as flooring to your pizza oven so you will no longer need a pizza stone or any alternative when cooking.
8. Cake Tin
Baking means that you use convection heat to cook and aside from pizza, most baked goods need a cake tin, which you can also use as an alternative to a pizza stone.
- It is an inexpensive option and is also readily available in most kitchens.
- They are not that large but you can use them to cook medium-sized pizzas.
- They are also durable, which means that you can use them on any cooking appliance.
- They do not absorb too much heat to be distributed evenly within the cooking chamber.
Cake tins are perfect for baking as they keep the shape of the baked goods.
They can also make sure that your pizza is cooked perfectly with the heat reflected from the heat source.
It heats up quickly, so you do not have to wait for too long after preheating the oven.
You can cook right away, and your pizza cooks in a few minutes.
9. Inverted Baking Sheet
A very cheap alternative to your pizza stone is a baking sheet.
This is a very easy way of making your pizza at home without using heavy tools and preheating for too long.
- They do not need preheating, so you can cook right away on a baking sheet.
- They are readily available and are cheap, so you do not have to break the bank.
- Baking sheets can also last for a long time, so you can cook more recipes on them.
- They can discolor easily and will degrade if you do not do proper maintenance.
The best baking sheet that you can get for cooking pizzas is the Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial baking sheet.
It is an inverted baking sheet that will last for years if taken care of properly.
It can heat up quickly and is perfectly compatible with linings such as aluminum foil and parchment paper.
So that means that you can also cook recipes other than pizzas.
10. Parchment Paper
If you want something simple, you can use parchment paper to the pizza stone. It is perfect for cooking the pizza quickly and getting rid of any moisture on the dough.
- Parchment paper can cook directly in the oven with no other surfaces needed.
- It can create crispy finishes on the crust of the pizza.
- It does not burn easily, so you can use parchment paper if you need more time to cook the pizza.
- You cannot use it more than once so they are for temporary use while you wait for your main alternative,
Parchment paper makes the process of cooking and preparing pizza easier.
You can prepare the pizza right on parchment paper so you do not have to slide it into the oven.
If you like the post then do not forget to share it on social media!