Being a home cook, you might wonder why your oven alone can not make that amazing pizza and the answer is your stone – whether it is a cordierite stone or a ceramic pizza stone.
Debates have been running around on which fuel you should use to get that smoky result, wood or charcoal? Gas or electric? But the pizza stone is as important as the oven that you use.
Pizza Stones are made to retain heat evenly and for long periods of time. This is what makes the crust of a pizza very crispy.
Home ovens are simply not powerful or hot enough to cook a pizza in a very fast way and creates the crispy yet chewy crust and perfectly cooks your toppings.
With the help of a Pizza Stone, you can get results better than most of the platforms that are used when cooking pizza.
If you are still deciding on which baking stone you should buy, then read the full comparison and you will see which is best for you and for your kitchen.
There are factors that you need to consider before buying the pizza stone that should fit your kitchen.
This article will show you the most important details that you should look at before buying and discuss more these pizza stones.
What is a Ceramic Pizza Stone?
Ceramic pizza stones are basically created by shaping and then heated in a kiln. They are more cost-effective than most baking stones.
They can last very long if cared for the right way. They have been developed for a long time and varieties have appeared in recent years.
Ceramic Pizza Stones are a general term for other subsets of pizza stones.
What is a Cordierite Pizza Stone?
This is one of the pizza stones under the umbrella of Ceramic Pizza Stones. The difference is that there are features that have been developed and strengthened.
They are built in the same way but are designed to last longer than most pizza stones. They are made under pressure and come out stronger than ever.
Cordierite is a compound mineral containing magnesium, iron, and more and when they are combined, they are known to retain high temperatures as well as cold ones.
Cordierite stones are not perfectly thermal shock resistant but they can handle temperature changes better than the other stones that are available in the market right now.
Cooking on the Pizza Stones
Using pizza stones can be a little bit tricky and you have to take precautions to prevent cracks or breakages.
You can use pizza stones in cooking different recipes. They are perfect for any baking activity that you might want.
Using a pizza stone goes along with taking care of it. There are certain measures that you should do and others that you should avoid in order to keep your pizza stone.
How to use a Ceramic Pizza Stone
Ceramic pizzas stones are very great in retaining heat although they have other problems that you need to avoid in order for them to last long.
You can follow this step-by-step procedure on how to use your ceramic pizza stone when making pizza:
1. Place your ceramic pizza stone at the bottom rack of the oven and preheat it.
2. Turn your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit for preheating.
3. Wait for 30 minutes to ensure that the ceramic pizza stone is heated all the way through.
4. While waiting, you can start preparing your pizza.
5. There is no need to put oil on your pizza stone. Just dust a pizza peel with a little bit of flour and slide your pizza onto the stone.
6. Remove the pizza once it is cooked. With the temperature at 500 degrees Fahrenheit, the pizza should only take around 10 minutes to cook.
7. After that, you should not turn the oven off immediately. Let the pizza stone stay inside the oven so it can burn excess food from its surface.
8. Turn off the oven after around 5 to 10 minutes and keep the pizza stone inside to cool down with the oven.
How to use Cordierite Pizza Stone
Using your Cordierite Pizza Stone is not too different from using a Ceramic one. You still need to carefully place the pizza stone on even surfaces and with no sudden change in temperature.
The main difference between using a Ceramic Pizza Stone and a Cordierite Pizza Stone is the temperature. You can be more comfortable using a cordierite stone in an oven with high heat.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use your Cordierite Pizza Stone:
1. Place the Cordierite Pizza Stone on the bottom rack of your oven.
2. Turn your oven on and crank its temperature up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Allow the oven and the pizza stone to preheat for at least 20 minutes.
4. Prepare your pizza while you wait for the pizza stone to heat all the way through.
5. Put your pizza on the pizza stone and cook it for around 2 minutes.
6. Ovens that can reach up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit are very powerful and so it should only take you a couple of minutes to perfectly cook a pizza.
7. Take the pizza off of the oven and leave the baking stone to burn the food residues on it for at least 5 minutes.
8. Turn the oven off and let the baking stone stay inside to cool down with the oven.
Make sure that the pizza you put on both the pizza stones have warmed down to room temperature.
Again, this is to avoid thermal shock which is the most common cause of why the pizza stones are more likely to break.
Caring for your Pizza Stone
Taking care of your pizza stone includes certain steps that you need to take so your pizza stone will last for years and years to come.
You should always take note of the thermal shock that may happen.
The most common mistakes are putting a cold pizza stone in a hot oven, placing a frozen pizza on a preheated stone, or placing the stone on a cold countertop right out of the oven.
Cleaning your pizza stone every now and then is obviously also part of taking care of one. As advised by many manufacturers, you should keep your pizza stone inside the oven.
They usually provide specific measures on how to clean their own pizza stones but there are general steps so you can make sure that your pizza stone is clean and safe.
How to Clean Ceramic Pizza Stone or Cordierite Pizza Stone
Since the two baking stones are basically the same, you can use the same procedure in cleaning them. All you need to do is to keep in mind that the baking stones should not be in the water.
Soaking or putting the pizza stones under running water is a huge no-no. Keep it dry as much as possible and only use water when necessary
Here is a step-by-step procedure on how to properly clean cordierite or ceramic pizza stone:
1. Let the pizza stone cool down
- Naturally, you would not want a piping hot stone on your hands. Let the pizza stone cool down before taking it out of the oven for cleaning.
- Note that the stones absorb very high temperatures and they retain the heat for quite a long time so let it cool down.
2. Scrape off the large bits
- Using a spatula, scrape off the food bits on the pizza stone. Do this in a gentle manner.
- Never use a knife or a metal spatula to avoid leaving scratches and dents on the pizza stone
3. Use a cloth
- Get a dry, soft cloth and wipe off the remaining food bits from the pizza stone
If the food bits are not removed or if there are still stains on the stones after these steps, then use the wet procedure (also called spot-treating) to clean the pizza stones. Here’s how:
1. Make a solution
- Use one tablespoon of baking soda and mix it with warm water. The amount of water should be just enough to make a paste-like mixture.
2. Use a soft brush
- Get a soft-bristled brush and dip it into the mix. Then go through the remaining spots and scrub the bits off in a circular and gentle motion.
3. Wipe the pizza stone
- After scrubbing it with the mixture, wipe off the paste with a cloth damped with warm water.
If there are still stubborn bits on the stone after the procedure above, cook them off by returning your pizza stone into the oven and heat it up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Let the stone cook for at least an hour and then let it cool down before using it again. Do not worry about the stains too much to the point that you scrub the pizza stone too much.
The stains are a good sign that your pizza stone is being seasoned. The stains will leave no taste on your next baking so you can let them stay.
The Best Pizza Stones
There are a lot of manufacturers in the market who claim to have the best pizza stones. If you want to take a look at a pizza stone, you should consider some factors before buying one.
Durability is one. You should see if the stones are made out of high-quality materials for you to know if they are durable and up to what temperature they can handle.
The price of the stone, of course, is a factor to consider. There are stones made out of the same materials and as durable as others that are sold for a lower price.
Considering these guide along with other factors, here is what we think the best pizza stones are-
Ceramic Pizza Stone
Cuisinart Pizza Grilling Set is a group of tools that you can use to cook pizza. It includes a pizza peel, pizza spinner, and a pizza cutter.
The most amazing in the group, however, is the pizza stone of course. Made out of ceramic, the 13-inch pizza stone is made to satisfy your pizza needs.
It is ⅜ of an inch thick and can stand heats up to 800 degrees Fahrenheit. This makes it perfect for creating the crispy crust you love.
You can use the Cuisinart Pizza Stone in reheating other recipes aside from pizza. It distributes the heat evenly on the surface and avoids any cold spots.
Best Cordierite Pizza Stone
ROCKSHEAT Round Cordierite Pizza Stone is one if not the best cordierite baking stone you will find in the market.
You can easily get a pizzeria-quality pizza in the comforts of your home. This pizza stone not only caters to pizza but also other recipes such as bagels, cookies bread, biscuits, and more.
It is a very durable and highly resistant pizza stone that can stand high temperatures up to 1,400 degrees Fahrenheit and can be used regularly under such heat.
It is made out of pure cordierite and does not include any harmful materials that may cause odor or taste.
This pizza stone is certified by the FDA and other agencies so it is ensured to have no toxic materials used in it.
The ROCKSHEAT Pizza Stone does not need much preheating as it only measures at 0.6 inches thick so the thin pizza stone needs a shorter time to preheat compared to the thicker ones.
It does not require pre-seasoning and you can use this stone on a grill and directly place it on top without having to worry about it cracking.
So, What is the best material for a Pizza Stone?
Choosing the best pizza stone for you is not as easy as most people think. There are also different opinions on which is better.
Pure Ceramic Pizza Stones are perfect for lower temperatures to cook a pizza on for longer periods. They produce that crispy crust on your pizza and perfectly cooked toppings.
Some people prefer Cordierite Pizza Stones since they are more durable and can take higher temperatures for faster cooking and crispier crust.
It really depends on how you want to cook your pizza. You should also consider the power of your oven on whether it goes up to a high temperature or a lower one.
Hopefully, this guide helps you understand both the pizza stones a little better and which one would be a better option in your kitchen!
If you want to share your experiences on this then let us know in the comments below!
Also, if you liked the post do not forget to share it on social media!